Whether you’re looking for a simple hostess gift or something special for a milestone birthday, giving wine gifts to your favorite oenophiles doesn’t have to be hard on your wallet. From wine glasses to wine baskets and accessories, here are five budget-friendly yet elegant wine gift ideas for all the wine lovers on your list.
- Wine accessories: While many of the wine gadgets on the market aren’t really that practical, there are some fun, useful products out there, many for under $10. Try a smart-looking set of sandstone coasters, a classic waiter-style corkscrew for travel or a wine journal for your friend to keep track off all her favorite vintages.
- Wine backpacks: Like picnic baskets for wine lovers, wine totes and backpacks are insulated to keep wine cool. Most come with a corkscrew, shatterproof wine glasses, a cheese knife and a place to keep a couple of sandwiches or wedge of cheese. Beginning at around $25, these handy backpacks make great wine gifts, particularly for those that like to picnic, hike or go boating with a bottle of wine. If your budget allows, stock the backpack with a bottle of light, inexpensive picnic wine and a well-matched snack, like flatbread and cheese.
- Wine baskets: While ordering wine baskets from catalogs can be fairly expensive, making one yourself is more personal and will save you money. Choose a nice basket or gift bag and fill it with your friend’s favorite wine, a pair of wine glasses and some cured meats, fruits or cheeses. You’ll have a great gift for under $40.
- Wine clubs: Membership to a wine club may seem like an indulgent gift, but there are plenty of clubs that cost under $20 a month. Many clubs offer partial-year memberships as well as discounts for members who want to buy additional wine and accessories. Wine clubs are a great way to give your favorite wine lover new wines to try every month, making them a great gift choice for special occasions.
- Wine glasses: There isn’t an oenophile out there that doesn’t want another set of wine glasses. With so many to choose from–red wine, white wine, stemless, painted and colored glass–you could spend days looking at all the varieties, and they make very affordable wine gifts.